Thursday, June 26, 2008

TABLE FOR TWO

This is one of the "TABLE FOR TWO" dinners that I've done. It was for some dear friends of ours. This was what the husband ordered as a Birthday surprise for his wife. I gave him a suggested menu to "order" from. Just some things I thought they might like. He ordered grilled steak for him and Ranch chicken for her, then along with that I served them a baked potato, steamed broccoli and a tossed salad. I served hot croissant rolls with their dinner. Then for dessert, I made them each a Strawberry shortcake tower.


I decorated the table area in a romantic, tropical theme. The backdrop is just white lattice work held together with wire. The back was covered with black table covering. Then I hung strands of white lights on it, and strands of tropical flowers. I set a couple of silk trees and some silk floor plants next to the edge of the lattice work.

For the table, you can see in the picture below, I used a sarong as the tablecloth. I purchased it in Mexico when my Honey and I took a cruise for our anniversary. Down the middle of the table I sprinkled sand and then nestled shells and votive candles in it.

I used black napkins to match the shaded trees in the sarong. I had some napkin rings that were made from shells and used those. I also have a set of "shell dishes" that my mother gave me years ago and they went so well with the theme, that I used those to serve on. Picture taking is not my forte' and for some reason, the candlelight in this one made the pic blurry. But you can still see the shell design on the dishes.


I wish I had a better picture of the hurricane lanterns I made. You can actually see them more clearly in the pic with the couple in it. I made these several years ago from a picture I saw in a magazine. They are SO simple and quick to make, and are so versatile! I have used these over and over and over again. I originally made them for an outdoor ladies meeting that I hosted. But then I personally liked using them outside near the pool, on our patio set, for dinner at night. I've also used them on our dinner table when I wanted to do a tropical theme for the family. Then one year for the 4th of July, I covered the base with a red cloth napkin (held tight at the top w/ a rubber band), then tucked some flags in the sand. It is simply a clay pot with a piece of foil (or napkin or paper towel) in the bottom to cover the hole. Then you fill it with sand, nestle a large pillar candle down in the sand a bit, and then place a hurricane shade over it. You can then embellish the edges of the sand with pretty shells or rocks. I LOVE this centerpiece - you will too, if you decide to make one or two. I made a large one and a medium size one because I like the way the different sizes make the tablescape look.


This tropical theme could easily be "enlarged" for any catered event or fellowship. As a matter of fact, I'm planning on using parts of this theme for our next formal banquet at our church.

No comments: